THE SENDING OF REWARDS FOR THE DEAD
The term Isal Thawab means to have the intention of sending the reward of one's virtuous deeds and acts of worship for the blessing and benefit of the deceased near and dear one. It is permissible to send the rewards of one's monetary worship, optional charity and sacrifices, and one's bodily worship, like optional prayers in fast, for the good of the dead.(1)
To convey such rewards for the sacred soul of the greatest benefactor of humanity, the holy Prophet (may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him), is a most commendable act on account of the innumerable favours and extraordinary compassion and kindness showed by him for the Muslim community. The least that a believer can do in this regard is to convey the rewards of all his devotional acts of worship to the sacred soul of the holy Prophet, for a person who does not have the good fortune of doing so even once in his lifetime would indeed be a most unfortunate wretch.
The procedure of sending the reward is that after performing the desired devotional acts, one should attend to Allah Almighty with one's whole blind and soul and pray:
"My Lord! Convey the reward of my act of devotion and worship to the soul of soul and so."It is to be expected that Allah in His unbounded grace and mercy will convey the reward to the deceased one.
1. It is not necessary that a person should have the intention of sending the rewards while actually engaged in the act of worship, but one may do so even later whenever desired.
2. Allah not only blesses the deceased one with the rewards and benefits sent for him, but favours the sender and worshipper too, with His unbounded grace and mercy. Therefore a believer should always make it a point to send the rewards of his voluntary acts of worship for the souls of the righteous people of the community as well.
3. When a person intends to send the rewards an act of worship for more than one departed soul, Allah does not distribute the rewards among them, but one out of his infinite mercy blesses each of the souls with full rewards.
4. It does not behove the true Muslims that they should lay down extra conditions, appoint special days, observe them like any other Shari'ah injunctions and cause schisms among Muslims on their basis, for the procedure and regulations concerning the conveying of rewards for the dead are as simple as that.
1. According to Imam Malik, only the rewards of one's monetary worship reach the dead one.